So not only did I finally attend BlogHer12 (with the likes of Barack Obama (via webcast), Katie Couric, and Martha Stewart in attendance) but I also got to visit New York City, one of the places on my “to do by age 40” bucket list!
Nope, I had never been to New York City.
Yep, I tackled New York City solo (the first half of my trip prior to BlogHer). *cos I’m hard like that!* 🙂
It’s been about a week and I’m finally winding down enough to show you some of the lovely people, gorgeous places, fabulous things, and lessons I learned from my trip to NYC and BlogHer12.
Times Square has it all – food, theatres, fun, and….well, wanna be Indians rocking Calvin Klein drawls, street hustlers earning money for penis reductions, and I swear that’s a man wearing a bikini with a Statue of Liberty foam hat on top of a doo rag (who was also riding his bike looking like that too)!
Mmmm, the Milkman…me and him together – now THAT’S a lot of chocolate milk! LOL
Stopped by the Rickland Orchards booth to take a pic with the Greek god, Mr. Nice Arms.
And chillin’ with my girls Nicole Morgan (@bywordsmusings), Jenn (@dazeofadventure), Crystal (@crystalecollins), Andrea (@SavingLifestyle), and one of my roomies, Nicole Bullock (@cuteculturechic) – nice mustache boo!
The BlogHer parties were insane! Danyelle (@thecubiclechick), Natasha (@hfofnicholes), Toni (@happyhousewife), Robin (@robinplemmons), Noni (@MissVersatile), and Anthony Leem (@anthonyleem) all know how to party!
Hands down, the CheeseburgHer party was the best! Here are me and the girls in the photo booth including Antoinette (@sistersavealot) and Rai (@swaraiblog)!
CheeseburgHer photos courtesy of Total Photo Booths
Now you know as a tourist, I did almost every attraction I could especially since I had a New York Pass (which offered entrance to over 70 attractions with discounts and even fast track access at some places so I could skip the long lines!).
If you hadn’t seen it yet, I also posted about my Airbnb experience of the lovely apartment I stayed in for the first part of my trip.
I like wax museums so when I saw that Madame Tussauds Wax Museum was on the list, I had to visit. But I must say, I wasn’t very impressed with the figures. They were too greasy looking for my taste but I took a few shots anyway.
I had to learn the art of self-portraiting with my iPhone too. Ha! 🙂
At BlogHer, there were some awesome items to explore! I loved the entire home office setup at the Martha Stewart booth and wanted to take the whole thing home as is!
I couldn’t believe my eyes when I learned that the prom outfits seen below were made completely out of duct tape! Ghetto, tacky, or ingenious? What do you think?
Then there were hand massages at the Quilted Northern booth (didn’t want to leave this booth!).
I won an Apple TV at the SocialLuxe Party. Yah me! Can’t wait to play around with it.
I was coveting Elana’s HAWT braids. I gotta show this to my stylist so I can do this!
And it was great to see Wells Fargo giving out Gratitude Journals! Now, ya’ll know how I feel about gratitude journals!! 🙂
NYC and BlogHer Tips
- Negotiate with the service car drivers (not the taxis). I got a good deal from Harlem to Midtown by just negotiating with the driver. Plus, I didn’t have a lot of cash on me then!
- Plan your attraction visits by location so you get the most out of your day.
- Eat light during the day so you won’t have ITIS while walking around the city!
- Act and look like you know what you’re doing and where you’re going even if you don’t so you won’t look like a tourist, especially at night!
- Bring comfortable walking shoes.
- Bring PLENTY of business cards (and don’t get them designed last minute)!
- Create a list of people you’d like to meet and write down their names and twitter handles prior to arriving so you can contact them when you get there to meet up.
- Don’t be afraid to veer off on your own and walk up to a group of people and introduce yourself. I met a lot of people this way!
- Smile, be friendly, and tell people what you do clearly. Mix it up and have several “10 second” phrases ready to go.
- Sign up for classes early because they get full quick! Some were standing room only…
- Reserve your room as soon as tickets go on sale so that you can at least have a spot in the host hotel. Hotels usually have a good cancellation policy so if you decide you can’t go, you can usually cancel close to the date of arrival.
- Networking tip: DON’T pass out your business card to everybody in a session without even speaking to them. Really? This chick was passing out her card to everybody in a session. I don’t know you! You gave me no reason to look at your card. This is a networking NO NO!
- Bring comfortable walking shoes – yep, there’ll be a lot of walking here too!
Over to you…
If you are a blogger, BlogHer13 is coming to Chicago next year so join us and since Chicago is only a hop, skip, and a jump from St. Louis, I may as well go. If you’re in the Chicago area, I’d love to meet ya in real life!
What other tips do you have for BlogHer and/or touring New York City?