With a new year comes a renewed sense of self, an excitement of what’s to come, and the development or creation of new things and experiences, which is why it’s the perfect time to think about what actions, behaviors, thoughts, and habits to hone in on in the new year.
As I reflect on this year and all things I’ve accomplished (and the goals I didn’t complete), I am actually excited to plan for how I want my new year to be. I’m ready to rock it out!
But in order for me to ensure I get things done, I know I gotta establish new habits and brush up on old ones. How about you?
10 Habits to Hone in 2018
1. Be a person of your word. If there’s one thing people value and respect in others, it’s people who do what they say they’ll do. I definitely want to ensure I continue practicing this. Let’s be impeccable with our word!
2. Let things go. There’s so much going on in the world and, if we let it, almost everything can bother us! But we can’t let the little things get to us, like crazy drivers, someone yelling for no reason, someone else who’s having a bad day and taking it out on you, or someone stepping on your shoe. Save your energy for handling the big things when they arise! Besides, studies have shown that people who “let it go” or happier and wealthier than those who don’t.
3. Not taking things personally. Man oh man, people surely can get to us can’t they? They do things they think are important to them, what makes them happy, or try to bring other people down but we can’t take things people do or say personally.
4. Read more. I know, I know. You don’t have time. But I say you don’t have time NOT to! Make time to read something new once a month at least. It could be an article in a magazine, a book (fiction or non-fiction), or even an audiobook for those who don’t like to read.
5. Ramp up your self-care routine. This is my number one thing I’ll be doing WAY more of. My self-care routine is pretty cool but I know I can do better, especially on the emotional wellness side of things.
6. Ask for what you want. For a lot of people, it’s difficult to ask for what you want but how will you ever get what you want if you don’t ask for it, even from yourself! So learn the art of asking for help and asking for what you want.
7. 1% improvement every day. So I definitely don’t recommend a bunch of new changes at once, but aiming for slight improvements every day will compound into greater results later!
8. Break often. Not only do your bodies need a break but also our brains. Find time throughout the day for a quick break to refocus and unwind. Sometimes I look up and it’s been 3 or 4 hours and I haven’t gotten up from my desk working. I plan to get up at least once an hour or so to stretch, get water, move around, and rejuvenate in the moment.
9. Reflect often. Most people don’t review and reflect on the activities of the day. I truly believe that in order to do better in the future, we need to learn from the mistakes and successes of the past, even just the past 12 hours or so. Plan to make a mental note of what you could do better tomorrow and what worked well today that you can use tomorrow.
10. Create good mornings. Having a morning routine sets you up for a more successful day. It’s the foundation of a fantabulous day! Think about what to focus on for the day, how you want to feel, and what you plan to accomplish. That way, throughout the day, you can see if you’re on target and check the pulse of your to-do list. I tell ya, one of my morning habits is to make up my bed. I don’t feel ready to tackle the day until my bed is made. 🙂
Over to you
What will you focus on in 2018? What habits will you create anew or habits you’ll refocus on? Let us know!