Photo Credit: SelfHelpGuideforYou.com
I’m proud to present to you this guest post by the fabulous Eyenie from LucidMusing.com…I know firsthand where Eyenie is coming from with this one and her ideas on “dressing up to show up” are spot on!
One of the most important things I have learned over the course of my magical self-realization carpet ride is the notion of Showing Up. This means going at every situation, intention, desire with all I’ve got. This means really and truly being present in the moment –fully grounded while connected to Source and 100% ready to rock and roll. I realized that I hadn’t really been Showing Up in many areas of my life. I was in this kooky trance that distracted me from what I really wanted, from my Truth. Honestly, I was sort of half-assing my life.
A lot of the muck that was fueling my self-judgment fire and keeping me stuck revolved around the perception I had about my physical appearance. Because I felt I didn’t measure up to what was considered beautiful, I kept myself constricted, folded and hidden. You cannot shine when you are constricted. You cannot receive when you are folded. Luckily, I got the memo!
Though it may seem counter-intuitive to some, respecting, honoring and showcasing one’s outer beauty is actually a spiritual act. Dressing Up requires effort and becomes a sort of ritual for really consciously Showing Up. And, in my experience, it can actually be a catalyst for making other powerful changes in your life. Think about it, when you are self-conscious, you are so self aware, that it almost becomes a hindrance. It’s difficult to really *be* where you are when you’re uncomfortable with yourself because you are constantly thinking about how others may be perceiving you, thinking they must be judging you the same harsh way you are judging and berating yourself.
Take a moment to reflect on a time when you had a special occasion for which you had to dress up, (wedding, important meeting, etc.) and you LOVED what you were wearing and how you looked. I guarantee your entire essence was different, right? When you dress up, you have more poise because you’re more confident. You act on purpose, and you’re in movement. You’re more approachable and friendly, and, therefore, more attractive to others and yourself. And, when you accept and accentuate your beauty, you vibrate at a higher level, which means you’re closer to your Best Possible You/Higher Self! And everyone feels it!
If you are ready to really show up for life in a major way, then it’s time to kick it up a notch in the dress-up department! After all, life is a special occasion.
Here are some easy ways to add razzle-dazzle to this amazing party we call la vie!
- No time for makeup? Throw on some really fun bright red lipstick…believe me, daring lipstick is a game changer! Instant pizzazz.
- Comfort is definitely a good thing, but sometimes the high heels are the way to go when you want to up your game. They give you swagger, and help improve your posture. When you walk with poise and grace, your heart chakra opens right up!
- You know that slammin’ outfit you’ve been saving for some special event or day? Well my friend today is that day! Bust it out, and revel in how it makes you feel.
- Be aware of your face. This may sound a bit kooky, but it’s some advice my glorious grandmother used to give me. “If your brow is furrowed and your lips are pursed, it closes you off and makes you less approachable because you seem angry or upset.” Relax that brow and mouth, open your eyes and smile. You’ll be surprised at how much more relaxed and fluid you feel.
- Try getting up even 5 minutes early in the morning to pay special attention to yourself and make sure you can do a little self-pampering. Or lay out a nice outfit before you go to bed so you don’t have to think about it in the morning.
- Work with what you’ve got! We all have areas we want to improve, but when we embrace how we look and accentuate the positive things about our appearance, we start paying less and less attention to the parts that are easy for us to judge. If a negative thought about your appearance pops into your head, be aware of it, thank it for stopping by and then immediately think of a positive thought to replace it.
- Be grateful for your looks! There are so many beautiful things about you! Focus on those, and give thanks. This gratitude will start spilling over into other areas of your life.
- Before leaving the house in the morning ask yourself, “Do I feel radiant today?!” If the answer is “no” or “almost”, take a moment to ask yourself what one thing you could do or change to make the answer a resounding, “YES!” It can be something as simple as trading the cut-offs for a flowing skirt, or adding a piece of jewelry that makes you feel like a hot shot.
Taking the time to appreciate yourself by dressing up keeps you aware, focused, in action and on purpose. It communicates that you’re ready to BRING IT!
Not doing so is like wearing flip-flops and an 80s-style sweat suit with teddy bears on it to the Oscars. C’mon, right?
Over to you?
Do you feel different when you take time to rock your beauty? Does it make you feel more present in each moment? What things do you do when you want to dress up for life?
Eyenie Schultz is a Cosmo Living Expert & Life Coach who helps women feel at home within themselves so they can love, live and thrive anywhere in the world. She lives in a medieval village in France and tries her best to sprinkle every day with razzle-dazzle, pizzazz, flow and ease.
To download “Callibrating your inner compass,” a free gift, and learn more about Eyenie and her coaching services, visit www.lucidmusing.com.