What do you think about when you hear the word declutter?
Most people think about cleaning out their homes and personal spaces, which is a form of decluttering, yes.
But what I want to talk MORE about is the process of decluttering to get rid of negative thoughts, emotional baggage, and unnecessary “junk” that can actually poison our minds and prevent us from being our happiest selves.
Ready for a happier, more positive and productive new you?
Why get rid of clutter in general?
Did you know that cluttered spaces and thoughts affect your productivity and overall enjoyment of life? The general idea of decluttering is to get rid of things, thoughts, and ideas that don’t work for you and don’t contribute positively to your life.
It’s like this - when you get rid of clutter, you free up a much needed space not just physically but also in your head (emotionally). Soon, you’ll realize that you’re not so stressed out, overwhelmed, frustrated, or just feeling yucky.
The art of decluttering…
Let’s start with the physical clutter around you.
Whether it’s at the office, your home or your car (and I hate things left lying around in my car!), clutter not only looks messy, it can actually cause anxiety and stress even though you may not realize it. When you see “stuff” everywhere, much of it is unnecessary and just things you haven’t had time to put away (or throw away) and it can really work on your nerves - not good for a happy mind! Besides, I’d hate to laugh at you when I see your home in disarray on the Hoarders show! LOL
Take some time to clean out the old closets, do some heavy duty home cleaning, and remove all of those papers atop your desk so you can see it again. Even throw out all the holey socks and old underwear you’ve been keeping at the bottom of the drawer. That opens up some room for some new ones!
You may even do like me and pay someone to do this for you or barter services if you don’t have the cash!
Trust me, you’ll be amazed how much more free and relaxed you’ll feel, simply by decluttering your space and being more organized. Be sure to take small steps and don’t try to do everything all at once so you won’t feel overwhelmed, adding more clutter to your mind.
Now, let’s move on to cleaning out those things that cause negative thoughts and emotional baggage.
After cleaning your personal space, you may have a lot more energy and gusto to now take on a bigger challenge.
You can’t be happy when your life includes things that don’t serve you or cause much worry and stress. So here’s what you can do:
- Relationship isn’t satisfying you anymore? Why are you still in it? You can do bad by your damn self!
- Hate your job? Spruce up your resume and start looking for other opportunities. Heck, start your own thang. Whatever you do, don’t sit there and complain everyday about how much you hate it. It certainly doesn’t help manifest a new one.
- Get rid of bad habits you know you need to stop doing. If a “bad habit” is causing more strife on your life, guess what, you gotta do something different and create better habits. Slowly but surely wean yourself away from it and get help if necessary.
- Let go of those things you have no control over. We can’t control what our children will be when they grow up, health issues of family members, or the choices of others. Why borrow trouble? We spend so much time worrying over things we often have absolutely ZERO control over and it clutters the mind.
- “If you can’t forgive and forget, pick one.” ~Robert Brault. Whichever you do, move on afterwards.
- Stop overcommitting yourself and learn to say no. I remember a few years ago in an effort to network, connect, and volunteer, I was doing WAY too much. I had joined too many groups and boards and stretched myself thin. I had to gracefully put an end to most of it and I felt a huge weight off my shoulders when I did that. I only kept participating in the few I was most passionate about.
Done? Now, let’s move on to a few more ways to declutter to experience calm, peace, and freedom in your life.
These may seem more random but definitely helps to create a happier mind. Here we go:
- Release yourself from activities that waste your time; life is short!
- Remove yourself from mailing lists you no longer need or read (i.e. email lists, magazine subscriptions, newspapers, etc.).
- Get rid of old files you no longer need on your hard drive and of course backup regularly. Oh and don’t forget to clean out any old file cabinets!
- Clean up Facebook and other social networks by deleting and unfollowing people who are negative and cause a lot of drama. You know who they are!
- Keep your DVR clean. This was huge for me! I had shows being recorded that I wasn’t watching anymore and took up space on my DVR and everytime I saw them I would scroll pass but there was a bit of a, um, stirring in my body when I did that. Though I wasn’t watching them, I didn’t “feel” right seeing them there. So they had to go. If I no longer watched them, there was no need to have the series recorded! It’s the simple things.
- Fire clients you no longer want to work with and are a pain in the arse! I’m speaking from experience with this one. Ahhhh, it’s such a huge relief. I vowed to now only work with people who match my energy and are fun to work with!
- Holding grudges or resentment? You know what you gotta do. Spend some time and release those negative feelings about the situation. It doesn’t serve you at all to hold on to such things. I certainly can speak to this one first hand. I’ve worked on this one for years and can finally say I’m clear and free! I’d surely love to hear you say the same!
So are you up for the Challenge?
Just like a clean, open space that is minimally furnished can make you feel calm and serene, a clear mind that’s free of clutter can give you a peace and happiness you never thought possible. Think of how a cluttered, disorganized house makes you feel – the same can be said for your mind. Clear the clutter, and find the pure happiness you were meant to experience in life.
Oh and you can’t declutter TOO MUCH. There’s no such thing.
Know this – When you get rid of “stuff” in and around you, you essentially send magical vibes to the Universe to start attracting more of what you DO want. There are many sources you can review that discusses manifestation and Law of Attraction more clearly but just believe me for now.
Don’t wanna take my word for it? Try it for yourself and let me know how things work out for you.