This post is part of the series of letters to our younger selves, sending them hope, courage, and the love it takes to grow older and wiser. My hope is that this series will encourage others, young and old, to be a better version of themselves starting right now, today!
This letter is brought to you by LaJuanna Jefferson, creator of The Virtuous Women’s Network…
Dear Juanna Girl (affectionately called by my grandmother),
You have already experienced some hard days filled with rejection, disappointments and abuse. In the midst of this know that you are loved, cherished and called by God to do great things. You see when your mother hid her pregnancy from “Big Momma” for six months…that was God saving your life from being terminated. You have a purpose and destiny to fulfill. You are blessed and though weapons will be formed against you, they will not prosper.
I know that you are not enjoying the move to Nashville, Tennessee and you want to go back home to Chicago, but awesome experiences and exposure await you here. You will become well rounded, excel in school (like never before), make great friends and dedicate your life to Christ (this is definitely a game changer). You will come to love Tennessee and will never want to leave.
Enjoy the days that you have with your family. Eventually Lil’ Derrick, Everee and Mom will go on to be with the Lord. Love, kiss and hug them often. Honor Mom and love Derrick and Everee to life. God will give you a family of your own to care for and cherish. You will not be alone.
I want to give you some nuggets that will greatly impact your life. It’s quite a few, but if you do them your life will be better.
- Save, save, save – do not spend everything you make – no credit cards – pay your bills on time – do not buy what you cannot afford – cash is King – tithe – oh and did I say save, save, save
- Leave them nappy headed boys alone – stay a Virgin until you are married (it’s a precious gift for Charles)
- Pray every day – seek God for everything so that His will is fulfilled in your life
- Do not drop out of college
- Walk in love
- Listen more and speak less
- Forgive easily
- Look out for others
- Laugh often
- Love hard
- Live life on purpose
- And finally, call Charles, Jean’s oldest son. You guys will make a cute couple and do exploits for God’s Kingdom.