Who’s Bruce Lee? Wait, you didn’t just ask that question, did you? Of course not. You know who I’m talking about!
I’m talking about the 5’7ish, between 130 and 150 lbs, small frame yet very muscular guy who was THE greatest martial artist around (at least that I know of) and movie star (one movie even used his dead body in the movie! #ForRealz) that departed this earth waaaaay earlier than we would have liked (died at 32).
You know what else is so great about the fabulous Bruce Lee?
He was also a philosopher and believed that personal growth and mental acuity was just as important as strength. He is cited as someone who constantly pushed his mind as well as his body to new heights. Ultimately, he has inspired millions. What a hero, eh!
Bruce Lee’s Simple Life Quotes
Here I go with the word “simple” again. You know the words easy and simple are 2 TOTALLY different things. When you read the quotes below, you’ll see how simple they seem but most find his wisdom very challenging to actually implement in their lives.
I challenge you to read each carefully and take one at a time and see how you can internalize the words and LIVE them.
Here we go (with a few comments from me)…
- Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it. (This is what I’m talking about! I’ve now inducted Bruce Lee into the Uncommon Crew Hall of Fame!)
- …if you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.
- There is no such thing as maturity. There is instead an ever-evolving process of maturing.
- Faith makes it possible to achieve that which man’s mind can conceive and believe.
- If you love life, don’t waste time, for time is what life is made up of.
- I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. (Heck yeah, I fear him too! LOL)
- It’s not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential.
- Absorb what is useful. Discard what is not. Add what is uniquely your own.
- Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them.
- A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
- Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.
- Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind.
- If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done. Make at least one definite move daily toward your goal. (Bruce is talking directly to me on this one! I can think about something ALL DAY!)
- Life itself is your teacher and you are in the state of constant learning.
- What you habitually think largely determines what you will become. (Hmm, where have we heard this before? 😉 )
- Simplicity is the key to brilliance. (ahhh, there’s that word again 😉 )
- Fear comes from uncertainty; we can eliminate the fear within us when we know ourselves better.
- Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.
- I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine. (I DARE you tell this to someone who is expecting you to live a life on THEIR terms!)
- The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
- Knowledge will give you power, but character, respect.
- A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (#BOOM!)
Over to you…
So what do you think? Which quote(s) resonated with you the most? Personally, I think Bruce Lee was wise beyond his years! He approached his life with pure passion and a desire for personal excellence.
What other quotes can you share that can transform and uplevel someone’s life?
Note: The Hong kong Bruce Lee statue image used above is licensed under Creative Commons.