I remember when I used to walk into the office at work and sing “Good Mooooorning!” in my chipper voice and this one person would inevitably say, “Why are you so happy all the time?”
Honestly, I really didn’t know how to respond except to say, “I don’t know any other way to be!” especially when I’m in the presence of others. Why NOT be cheerful?
But over time I realized that those types of people either love their miserable existence or really don’t know how to be happy and own it.
Yet, it’s not really that hard.
If you think it is, keep reading.
Perhaps, you already know it isn’t that hard but are looking for ways to move the needle more to the plus side of your happy-odometer. Guess what? Keep reading. 🙂
Own Your Happy
Being happy everyday is something I strive for. This is not to say that for every second of every day, nothing ever happens to bring me down. Far from it! But what I know is when I find my center and work on bringing that state of joy and happy back, I feel much better – and I want to FEEL good!
I’ve written about everyday happiness before, have given you 14, 027 things to be happy about, and even asked the Uncommon Crew before what they thought were the keys to happiness so check out those resources for an even better understanding of the subject.
So I bring to you today, 7 MORE ways to be and own your happy. Take heed!
- Give thanks. #nuffsaid (learn the power of a gratitude journal to help with this one)
- Make it a conscious choice. You can get up every day and make it a choice to foster happiness in yourself and others. Say, “Self, today I aim to feel good and BE happy. When things come up that take me away from that, I will try to get back to my joyful center.“
- Know that happiness is an inside job. With anything else in life, what you pay attention to and focus on will thrive. So take inventory of how you feel on a daily basis. If it’s not a good feeling, then some inner work is required. It’s NON-negotiable! Get some professional assistance via coaching or therapy if you need to but whatever you do, know that neither I nor anyone else can give happiness to you. Only you can cultivate it.
- Understand that you deserve it. Yes, YOU do deserve to be happy. It’s your birthright and don’t let anybody tell you differently. I’ve heard some people say they don’t deserve happiness because of what they’ve done in the past or what not. But everybody has a past and have done things that don’t paint the best picture of them but that doesn’t mean that today, right now, you don’t get to be happy. Squash that idea immediately!
- Get back to a child-like nature. I smile every time I see babies laugh and children playing and having fun. That used to be us! But we’ve lost that innocent nature and don’t play like we used to. I, for one, have vowed to have fun with myself and my friends and fam more often this year to take my inner child on a ride! I highly suggest you do the same… 🙂
- Nurture your spirit. I don’t care what religious affiliation you claim, your spirit is the real source of your strength. Go out of your way to nurture it i.e. mediate, pray, quiet your mind, etc.
- Laugh often. I can’t tell you how many times I laugh a day. I either call up some of my comical friends who inevitably make me laugh in every conversation, watch one of my fav comedies, or even just make faces in the mirror – whatever you need to do to solidify those laugh lines, do it. 🙂
Over to you…
I know that a lot of this is easier said than done, but I promise you that if you really work on it and focus on this thing called happiness, you’ll be better at cultivating it daily!
I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition. ~Martha Washington